Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Innocence Asunder


I received a txt from my friend Pipes.  It read:

"Gncng k p fvor
Pki cend nmn mga bataz
rgrdng chld abuse

Molezya za bata

Lahat ng bataz d2 me za
prcnto e
My emergency kmi"

For non-Filipinos who read this, it basically says "Are you still up? Can you send me the laws regarding child abuse? A child has just been molested.  All the connected laws please, I'm at the police precinct now.  We have an emergency."

Because he knew I was online most of the time, maybe that's the reason I was the one he texted first.  So before googling, I sent him a message saying maybe they can quote the incident as statutory rape.  But after checking online, I read that for statutory rape to be applicable, the male's penis should have penetrated the victim's vagina.  This case would be applicable with or without the child's consent and with or without threats being made.  Statutory rape can only be applicable to girls under 16 years of age (originally 12).

I asked him right away if there was any penetration and what really happened.  He replied saying that his 8 year old sister just got off from school.  A guy who sells toys and candies outside their school grabbed her and brought her to his booth.   The vendor asked her if she wanted 100PHP.  The girl said no and was about to leave when the vendor said her skirt was dirty and started fondling her private parts. This was the only detail he gave me.  

I told him that they can't file statutory rape so it'd be better to go to the precinct's Women and Children's Help Desk because I know that all Police Precincts in the Philippines have this.  The people who man this desk are trained to handle these situations.

This made me realize something.  This isn't the first time I've heard of an underage being molested since I got back for vacation here in the Philippines last May 26 2009.  I've only been here for more than a month and this is the third case I've heard.

First was "Aria".  She was a friend's friend and we were drinking at their place.  While we were drinking, her father was talking with some friends and relatives and we overheard that they were going to a strip club.  Aria's father gave her money not to tell her mom and he left with his friends and relatives.

I noticed right away that Aria was a little bit rude to his dad so I asked her why.  She said "Ako nga hindi n'ya nirerespeto bakit ko s'ya rerespetuhin? (He doesn't respect me why should I show him respect?) Our other friends tried to change the topic but Aria went ahead and started crying.

She told me that her father has been molesting her since she was in 1st year high school.  Aside from her father, her cousin who was also there when we were drinking has also been molesting her since she was in 3rd year high school and that her father knew about this and didn't care.

When I asked her if she had tried telling her mom, she said her mom knows everything.  Every time her father comes home drunk, her mom would sleep not beside her, but with her younger sisters and she has always been left alone.  The only person who shows sympathy for her is her grandmother who lets Aria stay in her house.  But her grandmother couldn't do anything whenever her mom or dad picks her up to stay in their house.

At this point, I got really angry.  I asked her if she needed help.  I told her if she wanted to go to the authorities, I would gladly stay with her all the way.  But she told me she didn't want to and for me not to tell anybody who could interfere with what was happening.  She told me that she only had 2 years left in school and as soon as she graduates, she will move out of their house.

I tried to convince her that keeping silent about this only made it worse.  But she insisted that she didn't need help and I should butt-out because it was none of my business.

The 2nd was Arthur.  He was molested by his cousin when he was in 3rd grade.  This continued until his cousin moved out of their home when he was in 4th year high school.  Aside from his cousin using him, his cousin also resorted to aggressive acts like slapping him in the face and tying him up while being raped.  He believes that he became gay because of this repeated molestation when he was a child.

I've always thought of Olongapo as being a safe haven.  Our city has one of the lowest crime rates in the country.  If these things happen here, I can just imagine what is happening elsewhere.  It's really sad that innocent children are being victimized by these perverts.  But what is more saddening for me is why some of the victims don't fight back.

Is it because they have started to enjoy it overtime? Is it because of shame?  Is it because of fear? What should I do to help these victims realize that what they are going through isn't OK?  Is my "not butting-in" paving the way for these perverts to have more victims in the future?


11 comments:

  1. damn all psychopaths, damn all maniacs, damn pedophiles.... you deserve no rights to live.
    children is the most precious being we should take care of. molesting them is the worst thing to do... all this child molesters must pay for what theyve done, simple kind of rape, assault , threat, ect. will cause life-long trauma, attention problems, anxiety, fear, personality problems for the child which made him/her different from others, and could cause their lives alter from what they really deserves....

    :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's really fucked up that sex offenders usually get to spend a few years in jail while their victims get a life sentence of fear, anxiety and being dysfunctional.

    ReplyDelete
  3. and i must say that helping people who really needs it is not "butting in". it's doing the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To Aria's father.
    Im Gonna Kill You OLD DAMN MANIAC!!

    ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. do you think olongapo is a safe haven? i dont think so.. hehe.. lots of crimes happened here but didnt publicized... haayz.. i know lots of stories like that..

    mern nga akong friend, 2 cla ng sister nya kinekeme ng pinsan nila.... though alam ng munjabi ang exena... db? pero ang kakak lang ni munjabi "kayo kasi ang nagbbgay ng motibo para kimbrihin kau eh.."

    that'z all

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice blog, great writing, keep it up. I love the contents. I VOTED FOR this beautiful blog and recommended to many of my friends. They will Vote for this great blog soon. I hope u will grace me with your precious Vote: Just copy this URL into your browser window.
    http://bloggerschoiceawards.com/blogs/show/69551

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tita,i know aria...

    ReplyDelete
  8. i just wonder kung anong pumapasok sa isip ng mga demonyong yan para magawa ang mga ginawa nila.

    ReplyDelete
  9. by far, one of the best gay-themed blogs i have read after badinggerzie and momel ... keep blogging ... avid fan din ako ng dati mong blog na shanarawarriors ....

    ReplyDelete
  10. salamat sa sinulat mo. victim din ako ng molestya. simula grade 6 ako hanggang ngayun ginagamit ako ng uncle ko. natatakot naman ako magsumbong. wala ako masabihan kasi nahihiya din ako. pero dahil sa sinulat mo medyo naiisip ko na rin magsumbong kasi tama sabi mo po na baka gawin din niya sa iba. hindi ko nga alam kung pati kapatid ko na bunso ginagamit nya din dahil napapansin ko na takot sya sa uncle namin (step father).

    ReplyDelete