Monday, May 25, 2009

Love Lost



I've waited 3 years for a new relationship.  Well, not really "wait",  because whenever I'm on vacation, speed dating services would envy me at how fast I go through dates.  Whenever I wasn't on a date, I went out with friends to "hunt" at clubs and bars - 99% of which ends up with my friends carrying new human accessories with them, and me, just a lighted cigarette and a sure-fire hang-over.  My friends kept on telling me that I have really high standards and whenever we go out, my constant blabber of "Nobody's interested in me" is more of a "Nobody here is interesting for me".  Even now, I don't know which is which.  During this vacation though, I went out with one guy who I'll hide under the name of Marshall ... and I almost thought that he was THE ONE.

Marshall didn't exactly fit into any of my "Hot List" pre-requisites but there were things about him that intrigued me.  In fairness to Marshall, he was not bad-looking, he's successful for his age, he's really sweet, honest and above everything else - I knew that he loved me.

After our first bed bout, he introduced me the next morning to his neighbors as his "partner".  Flabbergasted would be too weak a word to describe me, but I was too polite to shout-out that I wasn't his partner and was more of an ONS.  The next day, we went to my favorite acoustic bar here in Olongapo (Brew's Bistro) for a couple of drinks, and to my surprise, some of his office-mates and staff were there. Again, he introduced me as his partner.

By that time, I was really thinking that the 2nd day of date isn't safe to make it official.  But when I gave more thought about it, I usually only stay in the Philippines for 2 months so time is of the essence.  I gave-in and started to really consider him as my partner.

Our first week was great.  I honestly can say I fell head-over-stiletto-heels on him.  He did small things when we slept together that made me feel so safe ... and so loved.  After a week, he introduced me to his mom.  His mom bought us a set of "partnership ring" after I left them for their mom-and-unico-hijo lunch date.  I know it sounds telenovela-like and all but that was what he told me when he gave me "the ring".

To cut this crap short, we spent a total of 1 month together that was really "fitzgerald".  He became really demanding.  He made small issues into big fights (like my not texting back in an hour made him sure I was sleeping around with somebody else).  One time, when I told him I didn't want to talk to him because I was really angry, he went to the nearest bar and drank until he passed out.  His girlfriends who were with him got their panties in a bunch and heckled me while I was getting my haircut through text messages and phone calls.  There were so many drama scenes during our month together that even Judy Ann Santos would trade her career for a preview of it.

The biggest blow to our relationship though was when I found out that he had suicidal tendencies.  I only found out about this when he told his friends that he would "do it again" (he's done it twice before he met me) and they begged me to talk with Marshall because he was really going to do it again if I didn't.  This got me to really think hard.  In the end, I thought of breaking up with him when I leave so that I wouldn't have to face the climax of the drama series that was our relationship.

The day came when I really had enough.  He did his usual stunts to get me irritated so that it'd escalate into another fight and another drama - but I kept my cool.  He did everything from not talking to me and making faces, to throwing his phone on the table when I  started laughing with our friends, flirting with gays and girls who were close to his reach and a lot of other things - all to start a scene which I didn't give him.    

When we got to his house, he did something again that really got me irritated so I told him that I needed to sleep and that we'd just talk the next day.  He went into his staple "crying gig" to get me talking but I stood my ground (though I was lying in bed) and just shut up.  I was really considering NOT to break up with him that night because I know how fragile he was.  But when he said "Pagod na pagod na ako sa pag-iyak!" (I'm so tired of crying!), that made me realize something:

Was I being selfish?  Was my trying to prolong our break-up until I left for work again, hurting him more?  I know I still love him (even until now that I'm writing this), but I know it's not enough for a relationship anymore.  I knew that what I was feeling for him then was more of pity than love.  So I got up, dressed up and was about to leave when he literally begged on his knees in front of me and told me not to make my decision yet and to still think about it.  It was Tuesday then and I told him I'll tell him what I think by Friday.

He did keep his end of the bargain though. He didn't text me the whole week, didn't call, didn't send me any IM's and didn't tell anybody of what was going on.  Though I know these were difficult for him, my decision was still the same - I didn't love him as much as I did before and I will only be hurting him more if i pretended otherwise.  I respect him too much to make a pantaloon out of him so I broke up with him amidst all the crying and the blatant threat of hurting himself if I leave.

When our common friends and I got to the nearest comedy bar for a couple of drinks to gab about my epic break-up, Marhsall started texting me his "Goodbye and take care of yourself" messages.  I had a gut feeling that he was really going to commit suicide again so I asked one of our common friends to check on him.  A couple of minutes after our friend left, I got a text message from Marshall's best friend that he slashed his wrists and he was in the hospital.

We went to the ER, and thankfully, his wounds were only epidermal and his neighbors and my friend who I sent back - got there in the nick of time.  He didn't loose that much blood so he was sent home the same night.

As of this writing, Marshall is still in Baguio to "soul search".  He has sent me several messages through text and IM's - all of which I never responded to.  But each message though were like knives cutting through my heart.  Every time I see him leaving traces of his viewing my profiles online, it makes me wonder if I have turned into a monster.  He loved me (and based on his last message 1 hour before I wrote this - he still does).  But what did I do to him?  I've hurt his feelings enough for him to try to kill himself.

I don't even know why I'm writing this.  Maybe because I need somebody to tell me I haven't turned into a heartless bitch. Or maybe I need to feel people empathizing with me more than Marshall. Have I done the right thing? Or have I just lost the only person who will love me for who I am for the rest of my life? .... 

8 comments:

  1. Whew! I must say - your story is something to read. I don't think it fits a telenovela. But I think it is a very appropriate material for a Maalaala Mo Kaya episode. Who knows, you might win 10K for sharing your story.

    Kidding aside, let me try to breakdown some items which I think should be considered on this situation. First question...are you absolutely sure that you love the person for what he is or do you think you love the person out of fear that he might get into some suicidal attempt again? What I am trying to say is...If he does not have any psychiatric disorder, will you continue to love him? I think this is the first and foremost question that you have to answer. You have to be absolutely sure that you really love the person rather than just wanting to love him to save yourself from the guilt in case he tries to take his life again.

    Let's assume that you that you answered question #1 this way..."yes, I love him, without conditions". The second question is...If you give him a second (or third or whatever nth) chance and he does those "irritating" things again, will you be able to patiently deal with it and for how long? This question is just an affirmation of the first. You can't say you love him unconditionally without being patient in the long run.

    I think it is very important that you are certain of the answers to the questions I gave. Afterall, in case your pursue with the relationship, it will be commitment...mostly on your part. It looks to me like you will be the one to take care of him (and the relationship)rather than the other way around.

    Hope this helps... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Compelling read!

    Well you got yourself in a sticky situation and i think you got out of it the right way.

    You know that you did the right thing. Its all GUILT you are feeling right now, which is an unnecessary emotion.

    Move on... If he really wants to kill himself he could have chopped his head off, electrocuted himself or something. He just wants attention and dont give him the satisfaction by showing pity. Dont feel responsible for him, he can take care of himself!

    DBatin

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, to give you a short yet aboveboard comment, i was really astound when i first heard that you are "in a relationship" knowing that your belief when it comes to relationship is quite much of being cynical. anyhow, i think that a week of being together and knowing each other is quite rapid of being into relationship in which you barely know each other, isn't it? so, that's quite confusing of you heh, not unless if u'll tell me that its really a love at first sight. :) its more of infatuation, or feeling of acceptance or being important to someone. well, the only thing that i can say to you is that do what you think is right, dont put yourself in a situation where in there is no escape or no turning back, full of regrets,. dont feel sorry for someone for they cant accept the certainty.thats how life goes.its never a fairytale that has a happy ending. just think of this, love and freedom intertwine in human life, forming a core duality in harmony with the ancient concept of yin and yang. Love requires freedom, and its not overstatement, bec without freedom, love withers and die. i hope that makes sense and somehow helpful for you. haha. (nosebleed) lol -jar.myk-

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been, somewhat inspired by what you have written. For right now, I am in a complicated relationship. This makes sense not only for me but also for others to "love just enough".

    But to express . . .

    It was really a rollercoaster ride when you fall inlove and twice as much when you fall out of love, which in your case i think you did not fall out of love. I understand how things might have been good but it is true that some good things never last. IT must have been very difficult for you to let go of a committed person, but it is already given that marshall has an attention deficiency syndrome at first and lately have become obssessively possesive of you.not knowing maybe he is really bi-polar. . .

    Rationalizing what have transpired, the relationship is to immature to really give in to "rings" and early pronnouncements; meeting the friends is fine, but meeting the parents and all, that might be very pressuring to cope up with the expection of a long term. These are thing that pre-empts relationships.

    And to sum it up, marshall is to much for you and you are too much for him at the same time the break up came at the height of the drama situation. Which you should have considered since you already know the history of the person.

    One more thing, you will have to face his friends and his Mom for they have given consent to your relationship.

    But things really are unknown whenever they will last or not. the most important thing is that you don't forget the lessons learned and especially the person who have thought you.


    Anonymously - DAGE

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh well.

    whew ... that's a lot to take in one reading but should I say I'm so proud of you?? = )

    Kidding ... proud for the blog .. awesome ....

    Regarding the situation ... i really don't know what to say. Are you being selfish? I guess so, all of us have that defense mechanism to protect ourselves from near annihilation. Sorry for what happened though, I really wished that he was your "this is really it".

    Anyway, it's just another chapter of our lives that we can learn from. As the cliche goes, when one door closes ... a window open .. where you can jump from.

    You'll find somebody else .. soon .... our friendship can't afford another single-morose biatch ... = )

    ReplyDelete
  6. the order and connection of ideas is the same as the order and connection of things. -Spinoza

    ReplyDelete
  7. We honestly share the same situation... :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love is a hard topic to be right and wrong at.

    ReplyDelete