Monday, August 10, 2009

Sonnet II - There ... Still


Why start my sonnet with 2 when this is my 1st post of a sonnet? Basically, the 1st sonnet I ever wrote is now “lost”. I wrote it as an assignment during our 3rd year in High School. When I submitted my sonnet to our teacher, Mrs. Arlene Coronado, she marked it with a 100 and stuck a post-it on it which said “See me after class.” When I went to see her, she asked permission if she can include my sonnet in a new Literature textbook she was working on. I signed a release form for my “work’ and went straight to the quad to play volleyball. I don’t know if the book was ever published, or if my sonnet was included. But the mere fact that I was asked though, was very much memorable.

Since I am so happy and inspired right now, I think it’s the best time to recreate my lost sonnet. This new sonnet, like my old one, is in Elizabethan/Shakespearean rhyming scheme but Petrarchan in structure. I’m not sure if this is iambic though because I’ve never gotten the hang of obsessively checking the alteration of my syllabically stresses. I’ve also used the same 1st two lines from my 1st sonnet, as they are the only lines I can distinctly remember.

The original was done out of necessity, this one, I’ve written out of felicity. So here it is ... the remake of my original sonnet ... for “Raymond” and to everybody who hopes of keeping the promises of love for eternity.


-------------------


SONNET II - THERE ... STILL
by Jhezper Driedfish

Will you still be there when the sun has set,
on the placid waters of life’s joys’ end?

When the fog creeps in, whence Life and Death met,

will you still walk me to the unknown bend?

Will you still be there when the laughter’s gone,
replaced with cries from the depths of your soul.
When triumphs you fancied cannot be won,
will your taxing troth not burden your crawl?

When the clock strikes deeper into the night,
and the nightingales sing their odes and praise;
your hands, in mine, in any fated plight -
is what I see, through my heart filled with grace.

Confident I am, your love will be there,
like mine, to you, as perennial as air.



-------------------

This sonnet came form the depths of my shallow mind and unfathomable heart. Please don’t plagiarize. Stealing poems is like stealing the author’s heart and soul. Feel free to give it away to the people you love, just don’t forget to put my pen name - Jhezper Driedfish. If I get good comments, I’d probably try to write more poems in Haiku and Free Verse since they are easier. ;-)

2 comments:

  1. beautiful!!! dude, honestly you should get published! I'll be the first ones to buy your book. More poems!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not everbody can write a real sonnet. And for the people who can, not all of them can write sonnets as lyrical as you do. I agree with the first comment, you should get published. You are an inspiring read.

    ReplyDelete